9.28.2011

i may be biased, but i wouldn't lie! (a review of private social)

i am delighted to introduce my blog readers to the best new restaurant in dallas:
private ❘ social
patrick halbert (my cousin), andy austin, and chef tiffany derry (you may know her from top chef) have just opened their doors on mckinney  avenue, and introduced dallas to the perfect marriage of upscale private dining and a relaxed social lounge.
i had the privilege of sampling nearly every menu item and not a single one was a disappointment.
 chef tiffany started us off with a caviar topped quail egg that was just as simple and perfect as it looks.
 then we sampled the thai mussels.
of everything on the menu, the mussels might be my favorite. they are cooked in a coconut curry broth perfectly accented with lemongrass and cilantro. i fork jousted with the other three people at my table for these babies and may have eaten more than my fair share...
 we got a side of truffle fries and wow! they are skinny and crispy and absolute perfection!
i say "a" side but as soon as these were gone we got "a-nother" side....
 next we had lettuce wraps.
aaaaaaaaall those little cups are for the lettuce wraps.
cucumber, diced ginger, carrots, tomatoes, pickled ginger, mandarin oranges, radishes, cilantro, and really spicy little chili peppers!  there are more, i just can't remember them all.
these seriously blew me away.
 ohhh and the fried chicken.
fried chicken is off limits to the gluten intolerant (such as myself), but did i try it??
you bet your ass i did! of course not.
crispy, juicy, just enough spicy, just enough flavor-
heaven!
 scallops are my all time favorite food.
i know how to cook a scallop (if i may pat myself on the back),
but not like this.
these scallops are outrageous.  try em.
 if that stuff didn't look good, you are insane i also recommend:
pork buns
braised oxtails
white sturgeon
korean bbq short ribs
trio dip (hummus and such)
really just any of it.
in the entrance, there is a stunning wine rack filled to the brim with an amazing selection of wines.
 we sipped a wine called "mischief and mayhem" and chuckled at the appropriateness of such a name.

friday night was the vip opening party at p❘s.
there was a red carpet, top chefs, beautiful women, and all kinds of famous people (and wannabe famous people too).
we got dressed up in our friday night finest, mingled with people, and sipped fancy cocktails.
 it was so much fun!
 there i am with my handsome date.
 and there is michael (another cousin) with his beautiful date paige
 the girls were lookin fancy on the red carpet!
 and of course the boys were too.
 what an amazing night it was!!
patrick, andy, tiffany, we are so proud of you guys!

if any of my readers are thinking "hmm that sounds fabulous, but who should i bring along to p❘s?"
the answer: me.

cheers!

2 comments:

  1. I have a reservation for Thursday! I CAN'T WAIT!!!!!!!! ps- i love you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can't wait to go there. I have never ordered scallops but I just might after that picture!

    ReplyDelete